Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Snowing!


It’s been snowing on the passes around here for almost a week now, and yesterday Snoqualmie Pass (where I go skiing most of the time) was closed most of the day because of avalanches. I love spring skiing, and the more snow we get, the longer the season will last! So that makes me very very happy!



On another note, I haven’t been cooking much lately because I’ve been skiing and doing other stuff, like trying on my wedding dress! And it fits! Well, almost. It’s a little too snug, but I plan on losing 10-15 lbs. before my wedding and then it’s fit a lot better. It’s so pretty and I love it, but I’m gonna keep looking to see if I find something I like more (I doubt it!).

But really what I wanted to tell you all about is my Meetup group I started. Let me give some background first. All my life, I’ve been really shy and have had a hard time getting to know new people because I’m really reluctant to put myself out there. I had lots of friends in high school, but we all went to different colleges, so it was hard to keep in touch. In college, I made some really great friends, but I graduated and got a job and moved while they were still finishing their last year, so I have pretty much lost touch with most of them.

For a long time, it was really painful to lose so many good friends, but then one day I read a magazine article about how to manage your time better. I don’t really have time management issues, but I felt like I should read it. One of the things they suggested in order to have more time in a day was to only pick a few friends to keep in contact with and to let the rest go. The part that really struck me was when the author said (and I’m paraphrasing from memory), “People will float in and out of your life. It’s just happens, and you can’t get stuck trying to hold onto them. You have to eventually let them go and just enjoy the friends you have now.”

I just sat back and thought, “Wow. That’s what I need to do.”

So, slowly, I’ve been letting people go. I still remember all the good times we had, but I don’t guilt myself over losing contact with them. The only problem is that I haven’t made many new friends. I really don’t have any close girlfriends, and I’d really like to, which is why I started a new Meetup group called Shy Gals of Seattle.

Basically, it’s for any women in the Seattle area who are shy and have a hard time making friends. I was really nervous about starting it, because I wasn’t sure if anyone was going to join. In the first week, I had 20 women join! I was so excited! It’s tapered off a little, but I’m not too concerned. The best thing was hearing from several women that they thought the idea was great.

I’ve come to realize that I’m not alone; there are a lot of women out there who like the same things I do, but are too shy to meet others who enjoy the same activities. So if you live in the Seattle area and want to meet new and totally awesome women, join us!

Here is our website!

Have a great day!

2 comments:

Share This!