Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Egg and Dairy Free Pancakes

I was reading an article about flaxseed and it's wonderful health properties. I was convinced, so I decided to pick some up at the store to add to smoothies. As I was wandering the aisles, I found a bag of ground flaxseed made by Bob's Red Mill. I read the package and lucky me, there was a tip on using flaxseed as a substitute for eggs in most baked goods. I decided to buy some and give it a try.

Since going egg and dairy free, one thing I missed were pancakes. I decided to give them a try with flaxseed and almond milk. I do have to say they were mighty tasty! And they were still incredibly fluffy, like a regular pancake. The almond milk lended a nutty flavor, while the flaxseed gave the pancakes a heartier texture.

If you or your kids have an egg or dairy allergy, give these pancakes a try!



Egg and Dairy Free Pancakes

1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp ground flaxseed (sometimes called flaxseed meal)
1 c. almond milk
2 tbsp cooking oil

1. In a small bowl, mix together ground flaxseed with 3 tbsp water. Let stand for 2-3 minutes before using.
2. In another bowl, mix together flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add almond milk and cooking oil to flaxseed, then pour into the flour. Mix well until there are few lumps left.
3. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add 1/4 c.of batter to the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes until bubbles form on top. Flip and cook for 2 minutes on the other side. Remove from pan and repeat until batter has been used up.

Serve with maple syrup or your favorite jam.




5 comments:

  1. Looks like a great basic pancake! Even better w/ some huckleberries...my favorite! We have a couple more months till the august season....hopefully it is a good year for them! Thanks for sharing on Allergy Free Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love huckleberries! (As if you couldn't already tell!) I'm really hoping to grab a bunch this year since last year I didn't get any! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made these pancakes for my 3 year old's birthday breakfast and she LOVED them! Her eczema flares up when eating dairy so I was so happy to find these. I can now throw out the yucky store bought mix that while dairy free (from what I can tell) has lots of other bad stuff. I was actually out of coconut oil so didn't use any oil at all. They still tasted pretty darn good (a little spongy but still good)and while I think would be even better with good oil she didn't mind one bit! Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you and your daughter enjoyed them! I was very hesitant to try any store bought mix because of all the other stuff added in so I was really happy when these turned out so tasty!

      Thanks for your wonderful comment! :)

      Delete

Share This!