Saturday, March 26, 2011

Steak a la Alton Brown

Tim is very much a steak man. He would eat some form of beef every single day if I let him. I love steak too, but I only like to have it once every two weeks. I'd rather have chicken, pork, sausages, seafood, fish or just veggies for the other days of the week. But last night, I felt like having steak.


I used to make really terrible steaks. I could never get them to cook right until I decided to watch Good Eats from the beginning and saw the first episode, which covers steak. Alton Brown's way of cooking steak is a little odd and at first, I wasn't sold on it. But I gave in and decided to try it. I will not make steak any other way now.

Trust me, try it and it will change your life!


Steak, gnocchi with Spanish-style tomato sauce and salad.. yum!


Steak a la Alton Brown

Serves 2

1 boneless rib eye steak, 1 1/2-inch thick
Canola oil to coat
Kosher salt and ground black pepper

1. Place 10 to 12-inch cast iron skillet in oven and heat oven to 500 degrees. Bring steak(s) to room temperature. When oven reaches temperature, remove pan and place on range over high heat. Coat steak lightly with oil and season both sides with a generous pinch of salt. Grind on black pepper to taste.

2. Immediately place steak in the middle of hot, dry pan. Cook 30 seconds without moving. Turn with tongs and cook another 30 seconds, then put the pan straight into the oven for 2 minutes. Flip steak and cook for another 2 minutes. (This time is for medium rare steaks. If you prefer medium, add a minute to both of the oven turns.)

3. Remove steak from pan, cover loosely with foil, and rest for 2 minutes. Serve whole or slice thin and fan onto plate.

Enjoy!!






   

Sign up for our email list to get weekly recipe digests, updates on events, get a free e-cookbook and be entered for a monthly drawing for a free cookbook (Up to a value of $31.95. Limit one per person). Who wouldn't want all that?


* indicates required


















      

   

   



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This!