Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Quick Chicken Noodle Soup

Growing up my mom would make me “kitchen sink” soup whenever I was sick, but it always ended up being chicken with noodles and whatever leftover veggies we had in the fridge. My poor honey caught a cold and has been sick for the past day or two so I decided to make chicken soup for him. I didn’t have all day to make it (poach the chicken, then simmer vegetables, then cook noodles and combine) so I made my quick version that is still just as tasty.



Quick Chicken Noodle Soup

1 whole roasted chicken from your local supermarket
3 carrots, peeled and cut into ¼ in. coins
2 stalks celery, cut in ¼ in. slices
½ bag of dried egg noodles
4 c. chicken broth
4 c. water
Parsley, optional

  1. Heat water and broth in a large stock pot until boiling. Add carrots, celery and noodles and cook 8 minutes, or until noodles are close to being done.
  2. Meanwhile, pick apart the chicken and tear or cut into small bite-sized chunks.
  3. When noodles are done, add chicken and heat until warmed through. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle chopped parsley on top, if desired.

Enjoy!

* I like to sometimes add in onions, which I cut into ¾ in. wedges, but Tim doesn’t like onions so I usually leave them out. 

** I also like to add in chopped chicken livers, but it really grosses Tim out so I cook them separately in a sauté pan with a little butter and then just add them to my bowl of soup. I know, it sounds gross, but I grew up eating them. Brussels sprout and chicken liver soup.. YUM!






   

Sign up for our email list to get weekly recipe digests, updates on events, get a free e-cookbook and be entered for a monthly drawing for a free cookbook (Up to a value of $31.95. Limit one per person). Who wouldn't want all that?


* indicates required

















      

   

   



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This!