Thursday, May 19, 2011

Steak and Sweet Onion Sandwich

I have been dying to get back into cooking since I moved. I kinda threw myself at this one recipe that I've been wanting to try just to get back into the swing of things, but it didn't turn out as I had hoped. I really think if I tried it again and didn't rush it (and remembered to make the rice to accompany it!), it would turn out great. If I'm hungry, I tend to rush through making dinner, forgetting mise en place, forgetting where I store stuff, and/or forgetting to make part of the meal. I need to remember that cooking is a process that should be enjoyed along the way.

Good music should be turned on and danced to, a good glass of sparkling water with lemon (or a glass of wine, if you prefer) should be poured, and things will just naturally fall into place. Making a meal is like life. You should enjoy the journey.



On another note, here is a dish that should not be rushed. If you give it time to let the flavors mellow and meld, it will be well worth the wait.



Steak and Sweet Onion Sandwich 
adapted from Better Homes and Gardens cookbook

3/4 lb. top sirloin steak
1 sweet onion (I prefer Walla Walla, but Vidalia or Maui work fine too), sliced
vegetable oil
1 tbsp dijon mustard
salad greens
roasted red peppers, if desired
4 slices good sourdough bread, toasted

1. Season steak with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large saute pan over med-high heat. Sear steak for 4-5 minutes per side, depending on how well done you like your steak. Remove from pan and cover loosely with aluminum foil. 
2. Lower heat to med-low and add onion slices. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and golden, about 10 minutes. Stir Dijon mustard in with the onions. Remove from heat.
3. To assemble sandwiches, slice steak thinly across the grain. Top 2 slices of bread with steak slices, then onions, followed by red peppers and salad greens. Top with other 2 slices of bread and eat!


Enjoy!






   

Sign up for our email list to get weekly recipe digests, updates on events, get a free e-cookbook and be entered for a monthly drawing for a free cookbook (Up to a value of $31.95. Limit one per person). Who wouldn't want all that?


* indicates required


















      

   

   



5 comments:

  1. Mmmm this sounds delicious! I love caramelized onions and they're a perfect compliment to steak! I've never thought to add dijon into my onions but now I can't wait to try it - thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes please!!! I can't tell you how happy my husband would be if I served this up for him!! Nicely done

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh- I am so liking the part about the glass of wine and good music and the part with the sweet onions and steak! I'm sorry your first recipe didn't work but I am oh so happy this one did! Your blog is lovely by the way, I'm so happy to have found it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, lovely to meet you and your lovely blog, my new friend! These onions look to die for in that sandwich!

    ReplyDelete

Share This!