1. Spring skiing! Sun, snow and groomed runs; there is nothing better in the world!
2. Spring flowers! I love daffodils, tulips and crocuses. They are my favorite flowers.
3. Spring produce! Asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables, but it only is available locally from about mid-April to late June here. I also love that it's still chilly enough to enjoy a nice, comforting stew but warm enough to indulge in a salad.
Like this spicy shrimp salad. I've made it lots of times, and it's seriously one of my favorite salads. Tim isn't good on the spicy part so I divided the amount of cayenne in half and left out the chili pepper. I like to cook the shrimp at home, but pre-cooked frozen shrimp work in a jiffy. Just put a few in a microwave safe bowl, add a little bit of water and microwave 1 minute at a time until thawed, but not hot.
Seriously, you need to make this salad right now because it's so good!
Spicy Shrimp Salad
adapted from Seasonal Kitchen by Michele Cranston
20 shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 tsp cayenne (or more if you like it spicy)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
2 green onions, sliced on bias
2 tbsp lime juice
4 tbsp olive oil
1. Cook shrimp in a saute pan with 1 tbsp olive oil over med-high heat until curled, and just barely pink. Set aside to cool slightly.
2. Mix together cayenne, cumin, ginger, green onions, lime juice and olive oil. Add shrimp and toss to coat. Add in cilantro and diced avocado; toss. Serve over a bed of arugula.
Sign up for our email list to get weekly recipe digests, updates on events, get a free e-cookbook and be entered for a monthly drawing for a free cookbook (Up to a value of $31.95. Limit one per person). Who wouldn't want all that?
* indicates required