Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Roasted Asparagus and Lemon-Wine Poached Salmon - 200th post!

Wow! Can you believe I have done 200 posts already? I can't. Well, sort of. I've been writing this blog since 2009, but it was rather sporadic for the first few years. This year was definitely a turning point for me. I've been cooking, creating and exploring more and I don't see me slowing down anytime soon! And now, back to your regular scheduled programming. :D

Ok, so I know the rest of the country is feeling this sweltering heat wave, but over here it's been pretty cool, cloudy and rainy. I'm so thankful for that because I just melt in the heat!

A few weeks ago, I came home from work and was tired. I didn't feel like cooking anything fancy, and I didn't feel like going out to eat. I didn't cook the night before, so I had some salmon and some asparagus, just waiting to be cooked.


I decided to roast the asparagus and then gently steam the salmon in a lemon-wine broth. The dinner turned out delicious! It took me literally 20 minutes to make. I suggest making this meal if you are crunched on time, but want something healthy and delicious!




Roasted Asparagus and Lemon-Wine Poached Salmon
Serves 4

1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper

1 lb. salmon fillet
olive oil
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 c. white wine
thyme sprig

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. On a baking sheet, lay asparagus in a flat layer. Sprinkle garlic, salt and pepper over asparagus, then drizzle with olive oil. Roll spears around to get completely coated. Roast in oven for 7-10 minutes until tender and tips begin to get crispy! Remove from oven and let sit until salmon is done.
2. Meanwhile, heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle salt and pepper over salmon fillet, then rub with 1 tbsp olive oil. Put fillet in pan, skin side down. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add lemon juice, white wine and thyme sprig. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5-7 minutes until fish begins to flake. Remove from pan and let sit for 3 minutes before serving.
3. Serve with your choice of grain.

Time: 30 minutes

Enjoy!



Oh and:

 Happy Independence Day!  





6 comments:

  1. Congratulations Rachel on 200 posts!!! That's awesome. I'm glad you say that you are feeling like you're in a good spot with blogging {it can take a while}. Your photos are great and your recipes are wonderful. Especially this one.... I LOVE asparagus and am always on the lookout for new twists to make it. Congrats again and Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! It sure did take a while, but I think I'm finally in the groove of it! Hope you had a great 4th! :)

      Delete
  2. 200 posts is quite the accomplishment -- in fact you've got me wondering about how many I have. Like you, I started a while ago ('07 for me) and I've had some seriously sporadic periods of time posting. Regardless, you've chosen two great, healthy recipes to share here. Beautiful as well! My husband, son, and I are headed to WA for part of our vacation tomorrow morning to enjoy all that natural beauty! Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you enjoy your time here in Washington! It's my favorite place in the whole world! :)

      Delete
  3. Lemon wine poach sounds like a fabulous idea!

    I found you via Whole Food Wednesday. I linked in a post about spicy mince lettuce cups. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete

Share This!