Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Stir Fried Beef with Green Beans and Corn

I absolutely love stir fries. There are so many possibilities and they always come together rather quickly. Last night, Tim beat me home so I asked him to go to the grocery. Now he’s ok when it comes to buying bread or milk or other basic staples, but when it comes to produce, he’s absolutely lost. I asked him to buy me some baby bok choy, which he has had many times before, but he called me in a panic because he couldn’t remember what they looked like. He finally found them, and I told him I needed three, so he said ok see you at home. I get home and I go to start cooking and I notice that instead of three heads of bok choy, he got me three leaves! I love him dearly, but sometimes I wonder..

Anyways, so out of desperation I dug through the freezer to find something to eat. I found some frozen green beans and corn, which isn’t usually in a stir-fry, but I thought why not! I made up a quick marinade for the meat, then stir-fried it and dinner was ready in a flash.


Stir Fried Beef with Green Beans and Corn

Serves 4

2 c. frozen green beans
2 c. frozen corn
¾ lb. sliced beef for stir fry (flank or skirt steak)
1 tbsp cornstarch in 2 tbsp water
Vegetable oil
Rice, for serving

Marinade:
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp rice wine (mirin)
¼ tsp Chinese five spice powder

  1. Mix all ingredients in a shallow dish (I use a glass pie pan) and stir in beef. Let sit for 30 minutes at room temperature.
  2. When ready to stir-fry, heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in wok (or large sauté pan) over med-high heat. When oil begins to shimmer, add beef with marinade. Stir constantly until there is no more pink. Remove beef and sauce from pan, add a little more oil and stir-fry vegetables until heated through.
  3. Add beef and sauce back to the pan, along with the cornstarch mixture. Continue to heat until sauce has thickened. Serve over warm rice.

Enjoy!






   

Sign up for our email list to get weekly recipe digests, updates on events, get a free e-cookbook and be entered for a monthly drawing for a free cookbook (Up to a value of $31.95. Limit one per person). Who wouldn't want all that?


* indicates required

















      

   

   



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This!