Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Cranberry Walnut Bread

I absolutely adore quick breads and muffins. They are do easy to make, but so delicious. I used to make a different recipe every Sunday and then we would eat half and freeze the rest. Since ski season started, I hadn't been home before 5 pm so I didn't have the energy to make anything.

Today I skied with only my brother today, so we had a lot fewer bathroom and/or beer runs. My dad likes to take breaks, but he is away skiing at Big White this weekend (not fair!) so we skied till we were tired, which was about 1 pm. So I got home earlier and I decided to make a quick bread.

My favorite quick bread is a cranberry walnut bread. Normally I use orange juice and zest, but I didn't have any. I substituted milk for the juice and added lemon zest. It turned out really tasty.

My dream is to open my own bakery/cafe where I sell muffins and quick bread for breakfast, and then serve soup, salad and sandwiches with savory muffins for lunch. Ahhh someday.



Cranberry Walnut Bread
adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook

Makes 1 loaf

2 c. all-purpose flour*
1 c. sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 c. milk
1/4 c. cooking oil
1/2 tsp. lemon zest (half a lemon)
1 c. cranberries (fresh or frozen)
1 c. chopped walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x5x3 in. pan with Crisco. Cut a piece of parchment paper that is the same width as the bottom of the pan, but keep long. Lay paper into pan, pressing into place with hands. This is used to help pull the bread out of the pan after baking.
2. Combine egg, milk, oil and lemon zest in a bowl. Beat with whisk until well mixed.
3. In another bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk to mix and remove clumps. Stir in cranberries and walnuts to coat. Add in wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
4. Pour into pan and bake for 45 min. Check with a toothpick. Continue baking if crumbs are on toothpick.
5. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove loaf from pan using parchment paper as handles. Cool completely on a wire rack before serving.

Enjoy!

*Can substitute 1/2 c. whole wheat flour for 1/2 c. all-purpose for extra whole grains. If you add much more than that, the bread dries out too much.






   

Sign up for our email list to get weekly recipe digests, updates on events, get a free e-cookbook and be entered for a monthly drawing for a free cookbook (Up to a value of $31.95. Limit one per person). Who wouldn't want all that?


* indicates required


















      

   

   



3 comments:

  1. Great recipe, what do you think about using dried cranberries?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dried cranberries would also work, but you would just want to reduce the sugar to 3/4 c. Also, this bread does not rise very much with the fresh cranberries, so it will be a lot flatter with dried.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, that looks like one lovely and delicious bread. I'd be nibbling on that all day long. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your bread up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-10.html

    ReplyDelete

Share This!