Saturday, March 5, 2011

Pennsylvania Dutch Pizza

Who doesn't love pizza? I sure love it. My favorite pizza place was Fondi's pizza, but unfortunately both of the places near me have closed. Their pizza was so light and crispy, covered in delicious toppings. Tim's favorite was the proscuitto and arugula, which was mighty tasty.

I had always wanted to make pizza at home, so I bought this book. All of the recipes look so delicious and over the years I've been making them. I've made the Chicagoan with steak and potatoes, the Buffalo Chicken with celery and blue cheese and the Trattorian with sausage, pepperoni and bacon. Tonight I made the Pennsylvanian pizza with smoked sausage and coleslaw. It may sound like the weirdest pizza ever, but it is sooooooo good. It's definitely my second-favorite of the pizzas I've made (my favorite is the Chicagoan).

I use a store-bought pizza shell instead of making homemade dough because I didn't have any pre-made dough in my freezer. It's still just as good, especially if you get the thin crust. Seriously, you need to make this for dinner. It took me only 45 minutes from start to finish.



Pennsylvanian Pizza
adapted from Grilled Pizzas and Piadinas by Craig Priebe

Coleslaw:
1/2 bag coleslaw mix
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tsp sugar

Honey Mustard Glaze:
1/2 c. Dijon mustard
1/4 c. honey

3-4 bratwurst sausages
1 thin crust pizza shell
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp grated Parmesan
1/2 c. each shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheeses
1/2 c. diced red onions

1. For coleslaw, mix together oil, vinegar and sugar in a large bowl. Add in coleslaw, toss to combine, and let sit at room temperature until pizza is done.
2. For glaze, mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl.
3. Preheat oven to 400 F. Put a cooling rack on a large cookie pan and space sausages out evenly. Prick each twice with a knife. Cook sausages in oven for 10-12 minutes until sausages are almost done. Let rest for 2 minutes after pulling out of the oven, then cut into chunks.
4. Brush crust with oil, then sprinkle with cheeses. Top with sausage chunks and red onions. Drizzle mustard glaze over whole pizza.
5. Increase oven temp to 450 F and bake for 8 minutes. Just before serving, spoon coleslaw on top of pizza.

Enjoy!

*If you have leftover coleslaw mix and mustard glaze, make honey-mustard coleslaw!
Mix some olive oil and a little white wine vinegar into the leftover glaze to form an emulsion. Add to coleslaw mix and eat!






   

Sign up for our email list to get weekly recipe digests, updates on events, get a free e-cookbook and be entered for a monthly drawing for a free cookbook (Up to a value of $31.95. Limit one per person). Who wouldn't want all that?


* indicates required


















      

   

   



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This!