Saturday, March 19, 2011

Sloppy Joes

I absolutely love sloppy joes (who doesn't?) and I've been making them since I was little with my grandma, but last night I wanted to try something different. The only problem I have with my sloppy joe recipe is that there aren't any vegetables. So I changed it up and added in diced onions, carrots and celery while keeping the sauce the same.

I also changed the meat. I know, I know, sloppy joes are supposed to be ground beef. But as I was at the grocery store, I saw they had ground turkey so I bought some of that, but then I also saw they had ground buffalo. I've only have a buffalo burger once, but it was delicious, so I thought I would try it.


Turkey Sloppy Joe

Both the turkey and the buffalo were delicious. Tim said he thought he would prefer the turkey, but after eating both, he couldn't decide! I encourage you to expand your ground meat horizons when you make sloppy joes. Beef is good, but buffalo (and turkey!) are better.


Buffalo Sloppy Joe

Turkey or Buffalo Sloppy Joes (with vegetables!)

Serves 4

1 lb ground light meat turkey or 1 lb ground buffalo*
1/2 medium onion, finely diced
3 stalks celery, diced
3 medium carrots, diced
1 1/2 c. ketchup
2 tbsp yellow mustard
2 dashes of Worchestershire sauce
1/4 c. brown sugar
Hamburger buns, toasted

1. Mix ketchup, mustard, Worchestershire and brown sugar in a medium saucepan. Heat over low, stirring occasionally.
2. Heat a saute pan over medium heat with 1 tbsp olive oil. Add vegetables and cook until onion is translucent and the carrot is beginning to soften, 5-7 minutes. Add vegetables to sauce and keep warm (but don't let boil!).
3. Heat same saute pan over medium heat and brown meat, 8-9 minutes. When no more pink is visible, add sauce to saute pan and stir to mix. Serve on top of toasted hamburger buns.

*Ground pork, ground chicken or ground beef can be substiuted also.

Enjoy!






   

Sign up for our email list to get weekly recipe digests, updates on events, get a free e-cookbook and be entered for a monthly drawing for a free cookbook (Up to a value of $31.95. Limit one per person). Who wouldn't want all that?


* indicates required

















      

   

   



1 comment:

  1. I always use ground turkey, and I think it tastes just as good! I love how you used veggies - it's something I should do more often. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Share This!