Monday, May 21, 2012

Stewed Strawberries and Rhubarb

Whenever I mention rhubarb to someone, I either get an oh yum! gimme more! look on their face, or a look of absolute disgust. Ew, rhubarb?

Unfortunately those in the former category are all too few. Rhubarb should be celebrated and adored as much as any other fruit. (Oh wait, it is!) Most that are in the latter category have never had it prepared properly and therefore find it gross.

Luckily, I grew up eating rhubarb. My grandparents had a big patch of it so we would make strawberry rhubarb everything! Crisps, pies, cobbler. I was under the impression that everyone loved rhubarb as much as my family does. Guess I was wrong.

If you are not a fan of rhubarb (and even if you already are), try this recipe. It's super easy and it shows you how delicious rhubarb truly can be. Rhubarb is inherently sour, so you must add sweetener, and typically strawberries are added for two reasons:

1. To cut down on the amount of sugar you need, and
2. Because they taste awesome together!

Enjoy some stewed strawberries and rhubarb over toast, with granola, over ice cream or over yogurt. It would also be good on waffles, pancakes or french toast, if you are in a breakfast mood. I tend to make large batches of this and then eat it for breakfast or dessert. I hope this recipe will convert some of you into rhubarb lovers!




Stewed Strawberries and Rhubarb
Makes about 1 qt.

1 lb. strawberries, hulled and quartered
1 lb. rhubarb, rinsed and cut into 1/2" slices
1/4 c. white sugar, plus extra if desired.

1. Put all ingredients in a large saucepan and put over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Once the liquid starts coming out of the strawberries and begins to boil, turn to low heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes until rhubarb has melted into the strawberries, stirring occasionally.
2. Taste and add sugar, as desired. Serve hot over ice cream for a delicious treat.


Enjoy!




2 comments:

  1. I only had rhubarb once before but I liked it! I want this over waffles with whip cram!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh I like your idea! That sounds really good!

      Delete

Share This!