Saturday, May 5, 2012

Scallop, Bacon and Corn Relish on Toasted Baguette Slices

Who doesn't love bacon wrapped scallops? I sure do. The creaminess of the scallop pairs so well with the slightly crispy bacon wrapped around it. Is there any way that you can improve this classic appetizer?

I was wandering around the store, gathering the supplies for some bacon wrapped scallops when I came to the seafood counter. I asked the meat guy if he could get me 8 scallops, the biggest ones he could find. He started fishing through the bowl of scallops, and all he was finding were flattened, half-sized scallop chunks. I was determined to make bacon wrapped scallops (even though they had some in the case, which I suspect held the best scallops from the delivery), so I collected some peppered bacon and was wandering around some more when a thought popped in my head.

What if I dice the scallops and the bacon and add some corn to make a relish? I have no idea where the thought came from, but by golly I was going to try it. I grabbed me some frozen corn and headed out the door.

And to tell you the truth, it was delicious! The sweetness of the corn balanced out the normal saltiness of the bacon in ways that I cannot even describe. Trust me, you must try this appetizer for your next party.



Scallop, Bacon and Corn Relish on Toasted Baguette Slices
Makes 12 appetizers

1/4 lb. scallop pieces, chopped
2 slices of bacon, chopped
1/2 c. frozen corn, thawed
1 baguette, sliced
chives, chopped

1. Preheat broiler. Add baguette slices and toast 1-2 minutes until brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
2. Heat a medium saute pan over medium heat. Cook bacon 3-4 minutes to desired crispiness. Remove from pan and place on a paper towel. Add scallops and cook 1-2 minutes until they go from translucent to white. Remove from pan and place on same paper towel. Add corn to saute pan and cook for 1 min to heat.
3. Add corn, bacon and scallops to a bowl and toss to mix. Pile on top of each baguette slice, or serve in the bowl with baguette slices on the side. Sprinkle with chives as a garnish.

Enjoy!

Linked up at Thursdays Treasures.

6 comments:

  1. This is the PERFECT summer appetizer! Sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks so Yummy! Great recipe & nice photo.

      I just published a cookbook with my mother devoted to scallops, called Scallops: A New England Coastal Cookbook. Check it out at scallopcookbook.com!

      I cannot wait to try your recipe - Karin

      Delete
    2. Thanks Karin! Your cookbook looks fabulous! I will try to find it to take a look!

      Delete
  2. What a fast, easy and tasty snack! Thanks for sharing at Thursday's treasures. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it and wish I had some scallops right now to make this! Thank you for sharing on Thursday's Treasures Week 33. I hope you join again each Thursday. <3 and hugs! http://www.recipesformyboys.com/2012/05/thursdays-treasures-1st-co-host-is-joan.html Open all week.

    ReplyDelete

Share This!