Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Artichoke and Lima Bean Stew with Chicken

The inspiration for this dish came from a fava bean and chicken stew I saw in one of my Mediterranean cookbooks. I really wanted to make the stew, but didn't have any so I substituted lima beans. I thought it needed some more veggies, so I added in a few marinated artichoke hearts and a can of diced tomatoes, both things I just happened to have on hand. The stew came out really well and it has now become one of my favorite, easy, go-to meals when I want something hearty with as little prep as possible.

For a vegetarian version, you can leave out the chicken, reduce simmering time to 10 minutes and serve over quinoa for a complete, healthy meal.



Artichoke and Lima Bean Stew 
Serves 4

4 chicken thighs, skin on, bone in
olive oil
1/2 jar artichoke hearts, marinated in olive oil and spices
1 c. frozen lima beans
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained (I like using the fire roasted ones)
Salt and pepper

1. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium high heat. Brown chicken thighs, skin side down, about 5-7 minutes until golden. Flip and brown for another 5 minutes. Remove from pan.
2. Add artichoke hearts, lima beans and tomatoes to pan. Pour in about 2 tbsp of the artichoke marinade. Put chicken thighs, skin side up, on top of veggies. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes, until a thermometer reads 150 F for the chicken.
3. Serve with some baguette slices to mop up the juices.

Enjoy!

Linked at Beyond the Peel


3 comments:

  1. This recipe looks fantastic! I am actually hosting a fava bean linky party at http://www.2sisters2cities.com/2012/05/fresh-produce-tuesday-week-7-fava-beans as part of our Fresh Produce Tuesday series. I would love if you submitted this recipe!

    -m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will submit this recipe. Have a great day!

      Delete

Share This!