Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Salmon and Asparagus Salad

Are you ready for a barrage of asparagus recipes? I've been cooking lots of asparagus since they came in season here in Washington. Growing up, I never really liked asparagus because whenever my mom would cook it, it would be slightly mushy and olive green. Not that appetizing to a 5 or 10 year old. (Sorry, mom. Love you!)

Now that I cook my own asparagus, I like to leave them just a little bit crunchy and bright green. Blanching is a great way to do that. Simply boil the asparagus in some water for a few minutes, then shock them with an ice water bath. It will keep the green and they will still be crispy (no mush!)

The inspiration for this salad was a recipe from Michele Cranston's Seasonal Kitchen. The first time I made this recipe, I was living in a dorm room and used my plastic microwave steamer to cook the asparagus. I fell in love with it, and have made it almost every year since. The original recipe calls for bocconcini, or baby mozzarella, which I substituted with sheep's milk feta. The avocado balances out the salty salmon and feta perfectly. Drizzle a little white wine vinaigrette, and you have yourself one delicious salad!




Salmon and Asparagus Salad with Avocado and Feta
adapted from Seasonal Kitchen by Michele Cranston
Serves 4

1 lb. smoked salmon
1 bunch asparagus, ends snapped off
1 avocado, sliced
lettuce greens
sheep's milk feta
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
6 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper

1. Bring a large stockpot of water to a boil. Cook asparagus for 4-5 minutes, then shock in an ice water bath. Drain and set aside.
2. Whisk together vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Layer salmon pieces, asparagus spears, avocado sliced and feta chunks over lettuce. Drizzle generously with dressing.

Enjoy!




Linked at Whole Foods Wednesdays.

9 comments:

  1. I wish I liked salmon - that's such a pretty dish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Salmon is delicious if you can get it fresh. Come out to Seattle and try some! :)

      Delete
  2. I have been on a HUGE asparagus and salmon kick lately. Cannot get enough. And with summer coming pairing them in a salad is PERFECT. Can't wait to make this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I've been on an asparagus kick too! And I'm always up for salmon. Hope you enjoy this salad! :)

      Delete
  3. I had a salad similar to this at a restaurant once and I have been looking for an opportunity to recreate it. I'll keep this recipe in mind! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it!! :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. This has everything my body's been craving! Fresh asparagus and salmon are a great combo. I want to eat your picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! haha everytime I look at my picture I want to make the salad again! Glad it has the same effect for you! :)

      Delete
  5. I have been craving asparagus AND salmon. What an awesome salad, full of goodness!

    ReplyDelete

Share This!