Monday, June 18, 2012

Books

Have you ever watched the show Gilmore Girls? It's one of my favorites, mostly because when I started watching it, I felt like I could completely relate to Rory (and a bit to Lorelai). I love to read and I love to learn and I talk just as fast as Lorelai.

At one point, Rory inspired me to read more so I compiled a list of books that I want to read. (I'm a list maker!) It got so huge that I got overwhelmed and quit trying to complete it. I really do enjoy reading, but lately I've been in a reading slump. I have mostly been reading Daniel Silva novels (which are my favorite!) but I've read them before.

My reading list. Yup it's that big!
Yesterday, for Father's Day, we went to the Tap House Grill in Bellevue. Right next door there is a Barnes and Noble, and we made a visit some my mom could get a few gifts for her top students. As soon as we stepped inside, my love for reading suddenly reappeared. My longing for curling up with a good book was awakened. I could have stayed in there for hours. While my family was looking around, I picked up the Count of Monte Cristo, a book I've been meaning to read for years, and started to read it. I completely forgot where I was. Finally, my phone went off because my family couldn't find me. I had been so entranced in the book, I forgot that we weren't staying for very long.

This wave of emotion came over me that I hadn't felt in a long time. I felt this intense desire to find a nice, little, comfy coffee shop where I could curl up with a book and a cup of tea and read for hours. I wanted to pull out that list of books, dust it off and start over again.

As soon as I got home, I logged onto my local library website and put 3 books on hold: A Bell for Adano by John Hersey, Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis and Candide by Voltaire. I read these three a long time ago and they were the first three on my list. I cannot wait till they come in to my library so I can devour them!

How do you decide what book to read?


4 comments:

  1. Wow! That's quite a list!!! I am a HORRIBLE reader. I started a book club on my blog so I can hold myself accountable to reading! :-) And I haven't started yet --- first three chapters due Friday! You inspire me to READ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so glad I could inspire you to read more. Reading is wonderful, but it does take work to get in the habit of it. Hope you enjoy which ever books you pick! :)

      Delete
  2. Hahah I love gilmore girls!! Its one of those tv shows that defines my childhood! My mum is often compared to Lorelei and me Rory. Its insane! We were watching it one time (mum and I) and my grand mother walked it and muttered something about not wanting to watch it because thats what she lives with. Its a funny world!!
    And my your reading list sure is long!! I love reading so much too!! I kept a reading log once but now because of uni/blogging/busy life my reading has become rather sporadic! I want to get it better!!
    -Britney of Lemonwood and Honey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I so do miss Gilmore Girls! :( My reading became rather sporadic too because of my busy life, but I remembered how much I love it so I'm really trying hard to get back into reading a lot more.

      Have a great day!

      Delete

Share This!