Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Apple and Walnut Compote

Chopped apples, walnuts, a little honey and a squeeze of lemon juice make this mixture a little slice of heaven. Have you ever had Aplets and Cotlets? They are a candy made in Cashmere, Washington and I absolutely love them. If you have never had them, go get a box! (or come visit Cashmere, which is right next to Leavenworth!)

Anyways, this compote tastes just like Aplets! I think it was the combination of the honeycrisp and Granny Smith apples. I had originally planned on serving this in Belgian endive leaves, but unfortunately my local store doesn't carry them, so I decided to make it anyways, and I'm sure glad I did!



Apple and Walnut Compote

3 apples, finely chopped (use any varieties, with 1 being Granny Smith)
1 c. walnuts, chopped
1/4 c. honey
1/2 lemon, zested and juiced

Combine all ingredients and let sit at room temperature for at least half an hour before serving.

Serving Suggestions: over yogurt, oatmeal, ice cream, pancakes, waffles...

Enjoy!






   

Sign up for our email list to get weekly recipe digests, updates on events, get a free e-cookbook and be entered for a monthly drawing for a free cookbook (Up to a value of $31.95. Limit one per person). Who wouldn't want all that?


* indicates required


















      

   

   



2 comments:

  1. As I was reading this and I though it sounded delish over ice cream! Then I saw it was one of your suggestions. :-) Sounds SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my yummy :) Found you from Kim's page ! ^^^

    ReplyDelete

Share This!