Thursday, February 9, 2012

Homemade Alfredo Tuna Helper

Whenever I went trailer camping with my grandparents, my grandma would always make Alfredo Tuna Helper at my request. I absolutely loved it with peas mixed in, and I usually let mine sit on my plate until the sauce thickened so much it almost dried up (and my food was almost cold), unless I was hungry, that is. Surprisingly enough, Alfredo Tuna Helper is about the only boxed meal I like, even though I know it's not the best for me.

One day a few weeks ago, I had a bunch of leftover pasta from making the Red Pepper Shrimp, and I didn't feel like going out for food. I was also craving something comforting. I had a few cans of tuna in the pantry and some peas in the freezer, so voila! Homemade Alfredo Tuna Helper. I was surprised at how quickly it came together, almost as quick as if I had pulled it from a box.

And guess what! I think my homemade version tastes so much better! (Sorry Grandma...)




Homemade Alfredo Tuna Helper
Serves 4

1 can tuna, drained (preferably packed in olive oil)
1 c. frozen peas
1 clove garlic minced
1/2 c. creme fraiche
1/4 c. heavy cream
Cooked fettuccine
Grated Parmesan cheese

Cook garlic in 1 tbsp butter until lightly browned. Add tuna, peas, creme fraiche, cream and fettuccine. Let gently simmer for 2-3 min until thickened and peas are warmed. Add water to thin sauce if desired. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds SO good... My son and I love tuna, so this would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny enough, I love Tuna Helper for the most part, even though I hate Hamburger and Chicken Helper, but I would much rather make them homemade because those flavor packets gross me out! Thank you for sharing. We will definitely be trying this out soon!

    Stopping by from TTT

    ReplyDelete

Share This!