Thursday, February 9, 2012

Homemade Alfredo Tuna Helper

Whenever I went trailer camping with my grandparents, my grandma would always make Alfredo Tuna Helper at my request. I absolutely loved it with peas mixed in, and I usually let mine sit on my plate until the sauce thickened so much it almost dried up (and my food was almost cold), unless I was hungry, that is. Surprisingly enough, Alfredo Tuna Helper is about the only boxed meal I like, even though I know it's not the best for me.

One day a few weeks ago, I had a bunch of leftover pasta from making the Red Pepper Shrimp, and I didn't feel like going out for food. I was also craving something comforting. I had a few cans of tuna in the pantry and some peas in the freezer, so voila! Homemade Alfredo Tuna Helper. I was surprised at how quickly it came together, almost as quick as if I had pulled it from a box.

And guess what! I think my homemade version tastes so much better! (Sorry Grandma...)




Homemade Alfredo Tuna Helper
Serves 4

1 can tuna, drained (preferably packed in olive oil)
1 c. frozen peas
1 clove garlic minced
1/2 c. creme fraiche
1/4 c. heavy cream
Cooked fettuccine
Grated Parmesan cheese

Cook garlic in 1 tbsp butter until lightly browned. Add tuna, peas, creme fraiche, cream and fettuccine. Let gently simmer for 2-3 min until thickened and peas are warmed. Add water to thin sauce if desired. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Share This!