Saturday, February 4, 2012

Beef Stroganoff

I grew up eating beef stroganoff. It’s a traditional Russian dish that my mom made on a regular basis, and I loved it. I don’t make it as much as my mom did, but every once in a while I get a hankering for some good comfort food, and this is one of my favorite meals.
My mom usually makes it the traditional way, with beef chuck simmered in onions, garlic and mushrooms for an hour or so, then swirling in sour cream at the end for a creamy sauce. I prefer to fancy it up a bit (and make it quicker!) by using sirloin steak, cubed, and substituting crème fraiche for sour cream. It gives a creamier texture, in my opinion, and I love the flavor of crème fraiche over sour cream any day. I also add in a few secret ingredients to pop the flavors, but you will have to read the recipe to find those.

Beef Stroganoff
Serves 4
1 lb top sirloin steaks, cubed
Butter
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
8-10 cremini mushrooms, sliced
1/3 c. beef stock
1 tsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp dried tarragon
a few dollops of crème fraiche
1 lb broad egg noodles
1. Melt 1 tbsp butter in a sauté pan over med-high heat. Brown steak cubes until brown on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
2. Add water to a stock pot for pasta and begin heating it up. Cook pasta according to package directions.
3. Add 1 tbsp butter to same sauté pan over medium heat and add onions and garlic. Cook until translucent, then add mushrooms. Continue to cook until onions begin to brown.
4. Add stock, bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Add mustard, tarragon and crème fraiche. Stir to combine. Add in steak cubes and serve over noodles.
Enjoy!
Linked at Made Famous






   

Sign up for our email list to get weekly recipe digests, updates on events, get a free e-cookbook and be entered for a monthly drawing for a free cookbook (Up to a value of $31.95. Limit one per person). Who wouldn't want all that?


* indicates required

















      

   

   



1 comment:

  1. Come share this fabulous recipe at my Famous Linkz Party!!
    -Heather
    @ www.made-famous-by.com

    ReplyDelete

Share This!