Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Sun-Dried Tomato and Walnut Spread

My sun-dried tomato and walnut spread is a tad bit unconventional in that it adds chopped walnuts to a creamy base to be devoured on warm, crusty bread, but it works really well. This spread reminded me of one winter growing up where my favorite snack was toast with cream cheese and chopped sun-dried tomatoes on top. I hadn't had anything like it in such a long time, and this dish brought back so many warm, sunny memories. It sure fit the current weather pattern we have been having here in Seattle (sunny and unseasonably warm!).

My inspiration for this delicious spread was from a pdf cookbook I have called 500 Recipes for Bread. Their spread used goat cheese (which I'm a fan of but most aren't) so I decided to make a few substitutions. I used a mixture of cream cheese and Greek yogurt instead of the goat cheese to make a creamy, but still tangy spread. I kept the sun-dried tomato, walnut and thyme combination in the recipe and it turned out scrumptious!

Try this dish next time you are looking for a quick, creamy snack.



Sun-Dried Tomato and Walnut Spread

1 small package of cream cheese
1/4 c. Greek yogurt
5 sun-dried tomatoes, oil drained
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
Salt and pepper
Crusty baguette, sliced

Combine cream cheese, yogurt, tomatoes and thyme in a food processor until well blended. Using a spatula, stir in walnuts. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then mound in a bowl. Serve with a sliced baguette.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This!