Sunday, June 24, 2012

Potato and Pea Curry with Chicken

I have been on an Indian kick lately (which so far has ceased, but may pop up unexpectedly! You have been warned! hehe), which would explain this curry. I have a pdf cookbook called 30 Minute Indian, which really intrigued me since most of my favorite dishes require marinating or simmering for long periods of time.

This is the first recipe I tried from the book, and I really loved it! I ate it for almost 3 days straight with no problem. The leftovers tasted just as good! I served it with some toasted naan and basmati rice.

If you have never had Indian food before, this would be a great starting recipe. It doesn't require any special spice mixtures or ingredients. I have changed the recipe a little bit from the one in the book, but mainly kept the flavors the same. I also added in some chicken for a little protein.

The book definitely stays true to it's name in that this dish was ready in about 30 minutes. Give Indian food a try tonight!



Potato and Pea Curry with Chicken
Serves 4

2 chicken breasts, cubed
1 c. frozen peas
1 onion, finely diced
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 lb potatoes, diced
salt and pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
Cilantro leaves, for garnish

1. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook for 2 minutes to soften. Drain and set aside.
2. In a large saute pan, cook chicken in oil over medium high heat until brown. Remove from pan. Cook onions, ginger and garlic together over medium heat for 5 minutes.
3. Add potato, chicken, spices and a cup of water to pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add peas during last 5 minutes. Garnish with cilantro.

Time: 30 minutes

Enjoy!

 Shared at Whole Food Wednesdays, Allergy Free Wednesdays .


1 comment:

Share This!