Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Black Bean Soup with Mexican Chorizo

Unless something is absolutely so terrible I cannot eat it, I usually try to salvage the dishes that don't turn out so well. This soup gave me a rather lot of trouble during my salvaging mission. I made it according to the recipe I had, but it just wasn't the way I wanted it to be. I let it sit overnight in the fridge while I thought of what I could do to it to make it the soup of my dreams. I wanted it spicy, flavorful, so delicious I would want seconds or thirds. The soup I got was bland, the texture was off and I didn't want more than a spoonful. Not to mention, the color was a very not appetizing olive green.

I decided to go back to the store and buy another can of black beans to add some texture. I also bought some Mexican chorizo, cooked it up, and added it in. I also grabbed some diced bell pepper and some cilantro to stir in on top. The result was exactly what I wanted! The texture was perfect, smooth, yet chunky. The flavor was spicy yet homey.

Give it a try for dinner tonight!



Black Bean Soup with Mexican Chorizo
adapted from Betty Crocker Cooking Basics
Serves 6

1 medium onion, chopped
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 medium stalk celery, chopped
1 slice bacon, diced
4 cups chicken broth
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans
1 tube Mexican chorizo
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
Cilantro leaves

1. Cook the bacon in a large stock pot over medium heat 1 minute, stirring constantly. Do not drain. Add the onion and garlic to the bacon. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until onion is tender. 2. Stir in the chicken broth, carrot, and celery. Heat to boiling, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook 10 minutes. Meanwhile, cook chorizo in a large saute pan for 5 minutes until cooked. Drain on paper towels.
3. Drain one can of black beans in a strainer, and rinse with cool water. Mash beans. Let soup cool for a little while, then blend to a smooth consistency in a blender. Return to stock pot.
4. Stir the can of whole beans, the mashed beans and chorizo into the broth mixture. Cook about 1 minute or until beans are heated. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle red bell pepper and cilantro on top.

Enjoy!





2 comments:

  1. I love black bean soup and my husband loves chorizo.... so this would make the perfect combo for us! :-) Sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete

Share This!