Sunday, June 17, 2012

Almond Muffins

I love muffins. They are, to me, one of the greatest things to have for breakfast. Once you make a batch, they become super portable and easy to eat on the go. Unfortunately for me, many muffin recipes require milk and eggs, so of course the chemist in me was dying to make up my own recipe.

A few years ago, I had an obsession with muffins and had a dream I would eventually open a muffin and pastry shop (ok I still have that dream, along with many others). I bought a book called the Ultimate Muffin Book that has over 600 muffin recipes. It's a really neat book and I decided to make all the base muffins in the book before going on to the variations. Well, I got to the letter B before I decided to go egg and dairy free, which has thwarted my plans.

I am now starting over with the muffin list, beginning with Almond Muffins. When I made these with milk and eggs, they were rather dense and hearty. Great for a morning where you need a little extra oomph! This version without eggs or dairy is still hearty, but not as dense and has a nuttier flavor. I love eating them with a little strawberry or raspberry jam and a cup of Earl Grey tea. I feel like I should be in London!



Almond Muffins
adapted from the Ultimate Muffins Book and Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook
Makes about 1 dozen muffins

1 tbsp flaxseed
3 tbsp water
3/4 c. almond milk
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/4 c. almond oil
1/2 c. almonds, ground
1/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
sliced almonds (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 400 F. In a small bowl, combine flaxseed and water. Set aside. In another bowl, combine all the other liquid ingredients. In a large bowl, combine ground almonds, sugar, flours, baking powder and salt. Add flaxseed to liquid ingredients, then add all the liquid ingredient to the dry and stir just until moistened.
2. Fill greased or lined muffin tins with the batter, filling only 3/4 the way. Sprinkle sliced almonds on top of each muffin, if desired. Bake for 16-18 muffins until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Enjoy!

Linked at Thursday Treasures.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This!