Monday, April 2, 2012

Why I Love Skiing

Whenever I meet someone new, I like to ask them what they like to do for fun. I get various answers from people, but the first words out of my mouth are almost always, "skiing."

For a while, I couldn't explain why I love skiing so much. All I knew was that I was crazy about it. Slowly, over time I've come to find the reasons why I love skiing and am pretty much addicted to it.

Snoqualmie Pass at dusk

I love the feeling of standing on top of a mountain.

The unexplainable sensation of feeling absolutely tiny in the shadow of these huge mountains along with feeling so tall, like you can conquer anything.

Snoqualmie Pass at dusk

Racing down the hill as fast as you dare go, letting you scare yourself at how fast you are going.

Flying through the air.

Silver Fir Chairlift at Snoqualmie Pass

Spending time with my dad, my brothers Steven and Andy, my sister-in-law Angel and a few good friends. 

My dad, me and Steven at Crystal


Those days when hardly anyone is on the hill and you can feel like you are almost there by yourself.


Me at Crystal with Mt. Rainier


Being able to think clearly, or not think at all.

Focusing on one thing at a time, instead of trying to multitask.

Peak to Creek at Whistler


Skiing feeds my need for exploration and my need for a challenge.

Skiing centers me, makes me feel whole.

Peak to Creek at Whistler


What activities do you love? Why do you love them?

4 comments:

  1. Gosh I'm just discovering how many kindred spirits there are out in the blogosphere! I blog at Pacific Northwest Seasons here on blogspot, focusing on hiking, skiing, food, and other Northwest adventures. Great post about skiing. Makes me feel centered and whole too. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel you, Rachel -- I certainly feel you! That indescribable feeling of freedom when you hit and glide the mountain is nerve racking in such a great and fun way! Yee, I miss skiing already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Hope you get to ski soon!

      Delete

Share This!