Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Souped-Up Pho

If you visit Seattle, one of the first things you will notice is that we have teriyaki, Thai and pho restaurants on nearly every corner. Every Seattleite has their favorite spot and they will be quick to tell you. (Ok and since you asked, my favorite teriyaki is Kiku's on 50th and the Ave in Seattle; my favorite Thai is Benjarong in Covington and my favorite pho is from Papaya in the Crossroads Mall in Bellevue.)

A lot of Seattleites eat Asian cuisine fairly often. As much as I love getting takeout from my favorite restaurants, I enjoy making the same dishes at home, adding my own twists. One of my favorite meals to make it homemade pho because it's simple and takes 15 minutes or less to make. I also tend to deviate from the traditional pho by adding more veggies other than just jalapenos and white onion slices. I usually grab whatever veggies sound good from the salad bar at my grocery store. Tonight, I added adding bell peppers, carrots, edamame and green onions.

In keeping with the traditional, I love to add a splash of lime juice and a spoonful of hoisin sauce after cooking. A few squirts of Sriracha make the meal deliciously spicy. Go ahead and try some homemade pho today!



Souped Up Homemade Pho

1 box Pacific Foods Pho Starter (Beef, Chicken or Veggie)
1/2 package rice thread noodles
1 lb. sirloin steak or chicken breast, thinly sliced
favorite assortment of veggies (I get mine precut at the salad bar at my store)
1 lime, cut into wedges
Hoisin sauce
Sriracha sauce

1. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add noodles and cook for 1 minute then drain and set aside.
2. Bring pho starter to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add meat, cook for 1 minute then add noodles and veggies. Cook for 1 more minute then remove from heat.
3. Serve with hoisin and sriracha sauces. 

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I just stumbled across your blog - I love finding someone else who is into hiking and pho (you would think this would encompass most Seattleites, but there are surprisingly few blogs out there)! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for stopping by! You would think there would be more, right? I've actually found a lot of Seattleites don't enjoy hiking, or have never been! I checked out your blog and am now following it!

      Have a great day!

      Delete

Share This!