Thursday, April 19, 2012

Set Backs

I was so looking forward to finishing out the ski season with some great, sunny spring skiing, but it's looking like that won't happen.

I'm not quite sure how I did it, but I managed to strain a muscle that goes from my hip to my groin and possibly gave myself a hernia. I never had a moment where I said, "Ow, that hurt;" rather the pain increased gradually over a couple of days.

It's been tough to not be able to do the things I love and stay active. I do, however, believe this injury was my body's way of saying I need a time out. I've been doing a lot of thinking and it's been stressing me out.

I've realized that I really need to work on my stress level. I didn't realize how high it got until I was thinking my way into a panic. I started to hyperventilate and feel dizzy until I slowly calmed my breathing and realized, Wow! I'm really stressed out.

So I've been taking this week to relax a little, destress. I'm looking forward to being healed and getting back to being active, but for now I'm just going to take it easy and relax.

I have an ultrasound tomorrow to see if I have a hernia (which I hope I don't because then I would need surgery!), and then I'm taking a few rest days.

Once I'm healed, I plan on starting the hiking season with a few easy hikes, then slowly get into running and cycling. I'm so excited for summer!

Me at Sheep Lake, Summer 2011

3 comments:

  1. I hate when you are on a roll with working out and hit an injury! I'm so sorry & hope it all heals quickly!!!!! Thanks for linking up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummmm, ouch.

    Glad to hear you're relaxing though. I think our bodies are very good at telling us when we need to take it easy. Don't push it. Enjoy it :)

    Thanks for stopping by our blog - hope to see you around more often!

    K.

    ReplyDelete

Share This!