Friday, April 20, 2012

Tuna and White Bean Salad

Ever since going egg and dairy free, one thing I have missed is a tuna salad sandwich. My grandma used to make us kids tuna salad sandwiches by combining canned tuna, mayo, mustard and relish. I loved adding more pickles to mine, along with eating lots of cucumber chips. I couldn't get enough!

I was slightly bummed, but then I decided to make a bunch of new tuna salads to ease my melancholy. This is the first one I made, and so far it's been the best. Mashing the white beans creates a creamy consitency that mirrors the crunch of the celery. I also added in a little red wine vinegar for some tang and to balance out the olive oil from the tuna.

This tuna salad would be delicious on crackers, between 2 slices of whole wheat bread or on top of some salad leaves. It takes only a few minutes to whip together and is just as good as regular tuna salad.



Tuna and White Bean Salad

 1 can tuna in olive oil, undrained
1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 stalk celery, diced
red wine vinegar
olive oil
salt and pepper

1. Put the beans in a large bowl and mash with a potato masher until mostly mashed. (If you would like a super creamy spread, whir beans in the food processor with a tablespoon of olive oil until smooth). Add tuna and celery, stir to combine.
2. Drizzle vinegar (about 1 tbsp) and salt and pepper; stir to mix. Add more vinegar if you would like more tang. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This!