Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pork Skewers with Herbed Rice and Bok Choy

I made this meal about a month ago, and haven't gotten around to posting it because I am not fond of the picture. I mean, it shows the meal just fine, but I'm a perfectionist and the shadows bug me! Does anyone else have that problem (or am I just a weirdo?)

Anyways, the inspiration for this dish is from one of my favorite cookbooks, Marie Claire Seasonal Kitchen by Michele Cranston. This cookbook introduced me to seasonal cooking and it's been like my bible ever since. I love the simplicity of all the dishes and the photographs are truly amazing!

The recipe I used for the rice is actually a breakfast dish, topped with a fried egg. Since I'm going egg-free this month, I thought I would use the rice dish, but add in some pork skewers and some bok choy and you have a wonderful delicious dinner. (And the rice ain't too bad for breakfast the next day either!)



Pork Skewers with Herbed Rice and Bok Choy
Serves 4

1 lb. thin cut boneless pork loin chops
8-12 bamboo skewers
1/4 c. hoisin sauce
3 heads baby bok choy, sliced into thin strips
2 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 red onion, diced
1/2 tbsp finely chopped lemongrass
1/2 tbsp grated ginger
1 c. cooked rice
1 handful cilantro, chopped
1 handful parsley, chopped
1/2 bunch chives, sliced

1. Cut each pork chop in half long ways. Insert 1 skewer through each piece of pork, threading it through multiple times. Brush hoisin sauce over both sides of pork. Let stand while you prep the rice.
2. Heat olive oil in sauce pan over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, lemongrass and ginger and saute for 5 minutes. Add the rice and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until all ingredients are combined and the rice begins to stick to the pan. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Heat a nonstick saute or grill pan over med-high heat. Grill or sear pork skewers for 2 minutes per side. Let rest for 3 minutes on platter before serving. Stir bok choy into rice and serve. 

Enjoy!






   

Sign up for our email list to get weekly recipe digests, updates on events, get a free e-cookbook and be entered for a monthly drawing for a free cookbook (Up to a value of $31.95. Limit one per person). Who wouldn't want all that?


* indicates required


















      

   

   



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This!