Thursday, March 22, 2012

Caraway Soup

A few Christmases ago, my mom gave me the Czechoslovak Cookbook by Joza Brizova. She was hoping some of my grandma's old recipes would be in there (or at least something similar) and it has proven to be a great resource for me when I'm craving Czech food.

Growing up, my grandma would make the same few dishes for us when we would visit, so I never got a really good taste of most Czech food other than my favorites. I've recently started to cook through the book and try other Czech recipes. One of the first recipes in the book is for a caraway soup. Most of the other caraway soups I've seen online have dumplings in the soup that include eggs, but this recipe uses a roux base to thicken the soup. So technically there is butter in this dish, but I've found that butter doesn't affect my stomach like most dairy products do.

I used almost the same recipe except I added some cooked, shredded chicken to make it a little heartier. This soup is a great winter warmer, especially after a chilly day in the snow.



Caraway Soup with Chicken
Serves 4

1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. flour
4 c. chicken stock
1 tsp caraway seeds
1 celery stalk, diced
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 c. shredded cooked chicken
Salt and pepper

1. Melt butter in a large sauce pan. Whisk in flour until combined. Add in stock, caraway, celery and onion. 
2. Bring to a boil, then simmer over low heat for 20 minutes. Add chicken and serve when chicken is hot.

Enjoy!






   

Sign up for our email list to get weekly recipe digests, updates on events, get a free e-cookbook and be entered for a monthly drawing for a free cookbook (Up to a value of $31.95. Limit one per person). Who wouldn't want all that?


* indicates required


















      

   

   



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This!