Monday, July 21, 2014

Pineapple Coconut Oatmeal with Macadamia Nuts

I love having oatmeal for breakfast, even in summer. It's the only breakfast item that keeps me from being hungry an hour later. My typical oatmeal is some sort of dried fruit, usually raisins or a berry mix, and walnuts with a little cinnamon and brown sugar. The other day I decided to mix it up.

I first grabbed the last few pieces of dried pineapple I had bought to snack on and some shredded coconut I had in my pantry. The final delicious piece was found while rummaging through my freezer where I found some macadamia nuts leftover from some recipe I made a while back. Perfect! I cooked the oatmeal and dried pineapple with a little allspice and brown sugar, then topped it with the shredded coconut and macadamia nuts. I felt like I was at the beach, enjoying a delicious breakfast before heading out to swim in the warm water. Ahhhhh... that sounds so relaxing right now, doesn't it?



Pineapple Coconut Oatmeal with Macadamia Nuts
Serves 2

2/3 c. rolled oats (not instant)
1/4 c. dried pineapple chunks
1/4 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp salt
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 c. shredded coconut
1/4 c. macadamia nuts

In a medium saucepan, combine oats, pineapple, allspice, salt and sugar. Add enough water just to cover oats by half an inch, then place saucepan on the burner and turn on to medium-high. Set a timer for 5 minutes and let cook, stirring once or twice to avoid sticking. After 5 minutes is up, turn stove off and let stand for 2 minutes to absorb the liquid. Pour into 2 bowls, then top each with a little coconut and a handful of macadamia nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This!