Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Heather Lake

I have this unfortunate habit of redoing my lists that I make. My hiking list is the worst offender, since I have redone it at least 2 times already this year. Heather Lake was not originally on my list to do this year, but when I redid my hiking list, it popped up, and I'm sure glad it did.



My friend Darja and I set out to do this hike on a beautiful sunny Sunday. By the time we got to the trailhead, it was already packed and I can see why. Sitting behind Mt. Pilchuck, the lake had views of waterfalls cascading down from snow still melting in the hot July sun. After making a loop around the lake, we found a nice little sitting spot where we dipped our toes into the lake.



Now, this is a big thing for me. I'm not a lake swimmer and I will not put my feet in the lake unless I can see the bottom (thanks to all the stumps in Goose Lake where my family camped when I was little). I'm trying so hard to get over it, but it still freaks me out. Last year, I did take a short swim in Olallie Lake but I haven't swam anywhere else in a long time.



Anyways, as we were packing up, a bird flew through the trees and all I saw what this white projectile heading towards me. I soon realized that it was poop and thank goodness it landed on my arm. Darja and I started to crack up, especially after we realized that it had barely missed hitting her in the face. As gross as it was, getting hit in the arm is WAY better than getting hit in the face, so I gladly took the hit for her.



I washed off in the lake, then we headed back down to the car. It was definitely a fun and eventful trip and I'm glad I got to bond with Darja more. But she owes me big time! ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This!