Monday, June 9, 2014

Talking about Food Allergies



It seems lately I've been having a lot of conversations with various people about my food allergies, mainly because of my cookbook. It's interesting to hear what other people have to say, and it's rather refreshing to meet others who have been affected by food allergies and their struggles.


I went walking with my cousin a few days ago, who also has food allergies and intolerances that have affected her life drastically. We chatted about difficulties with family members and others who have had "issues" understanding our allergies and working with us during meal times. It was good to see her and to be able to talk to someone who understands the things I go through on a daily basis, from having to asking a dozen questions to the waitstaff or having to bring all the food to a get together to having to shop at multiple stores in order to find the right products.


After I got home, I went to pick up my Stitch Fix (which I love!) from the main office and I chatted with one of the ladies there about my cookbook. She was surprised that I was writing a dairy and egg free cookbook, especially because her daughter had both dairy and egg allergies growing up, but has since faded. We talked about how difficult it can be, but how there are so many new products available out that have made it so much easier to eat "normal."


She made an interesting comment about how her daughter still prefers her food without dairy and eggs, because that is how she ate growing up. It made me think about how I would eat if suddenly I found out I wasn't allergic. I'm not sure if I would switch back because I have grown to love eating foods without dairy and eggs, and it really has expanded my palate.


Through talking with people about my food allergies, I have discovered that this is what I was meant to do, to help others who have the same allergies learn how to eat without dairy or eggs but still eat delicious food. I didn't quite resist it, but I haven't embraced it fully either. I think it's time that I do.

*All the pictures are from my walk with my cousin and her youngest son (who is so adorable!) at Nolte State Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This!