Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Caramelized Spiced Yams

Whenever I think of sweetened yams, I always think of the typical marshmallowy Thanksgiving dish. My family usually loves putting lots of marshmallows on top, which is always delicious. There were a couple of years there where every few minutes someone new would come traipsing through the kitchen and add a handful or two more marshmallows to the top of the casserole. There would always end up being more marshmallows than sweet potatoes once it made it to the table.




I saw this recipe for caramelized potatoes in one of my cookbooks and thought, hmmm, I like that idea, but instead of white potatoes, why not yams? And to add my spin to it, I added some allspice, cinnamon and fresh grated ginger to give it a kick. These yams makes the perfect side dish and can be done in under 20 minutes. Perfect for any dinner, Thanksgiving or not!



Caramelized Spiced Yams
serves 4

2 medium yams, peeled and diced into 1/2" dice
2 tbsp Earth Balance or butter
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp fresh grated ginger
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

In a large stock pot, bring water to a boil and add diced yams. Cook for 4-5 minutes, just until soft. Drain and set aside. In a small saute pan, melt butter, then add sugar and spices. Cook for 1 minute, stirring, then drizzle over yams. Toss to combine and serve.

4 comments:

Share This!