Monday, May 19, 2014

Vegan Broccoli Raisin Salad

Broccoli raisin salad was typically one of my favorite picnic or barbecue salads, since I am not a fan of macaroni salad or potato salad. I have not had a good broccoli raisin salad in years because most are, sadly, made with mayo, which I can't eat. 

So tonight, after being long overdue, I decided to make my own version. It's super simple, tastes almost like the actual thing, except I left out the onion and the bacon. I added in some almonds for crunch and used a vegan mayo that I have learned to love. Mine is also different in that I used the stalks in addition to the florets, so I didn't waste as much broccoli, and I also cooked the broccoli so it was a bit more tender. I'm definitely making this again for my next summer barbecue.



Vegan Broccoli Raisin Salad
serves 4

2 heads broccoli
1/4 c. raisins
1/4 c. almonds
2 tbsp vegan canola based mayo
1 tbsp agave syrup
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

1. To prepare broccoli, trim florets from stem, setting florets aside. To cut stalks, peel thick outer layer off, trim off bottom of stalk, then cut into 2 lengthwise. Cut each half into half again lengthwise, then dice.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add 1 tbsp salt, then boil broccoli for about 4 minutes, until stalks are tender and florets are emerald green. Drain and set aside to cool.
3. In a large bowl, mix together broccoli and remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This!