Friday, November 29, 2013

Shrimp and Fall Fruit Salad

The inspiration for this salad came from a recipe in Melissa's Great Book of Produce for persimmons. I had two that I couldn't figure out what to do with, so I decided to peruse my cookbook collection until something popped out at me. A recipe for a salad of persimmons, blue cheese, pomegranates and walnuts with a cider dressing sounded really delicious, but I wanted to add a few more things to it. I skipped the blue cheese, but added in some cucumber slices and some bay shrimp.

For the dressing, I used apple cider vinegar and mixed in some ground mustard and some herbes de provence. I can't tell you how good this salad tasted! Every bite came with a "oh wow" and a "this is good!" and "holy crap!" I don't think I've made a salad this good since I made my salmon, avocado and asparagus salad a few years ago. While persimmons and pomegranates are in season, you have to give this salad a try!



Shrimp and Fall Fruit Salad
adapted from Melissa's Great Book of Produce

Serves 2

1/4 lb bay shrimp
2 persimmons, cut into wedges
1/4 c. pomegranate seeds (I bought a cup with just the seeds, was a super time saver!)
1/3 cucumber, sliced
1/4 c. walnuts, chopped
chopped romaine lettuce

Dressing:
1 tbsp cider vinegar
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp ground mustard
1/2 tsp herbes de provence
salt and pepper

1. Mix together ingredients for dressing, set aside. 
2. Put a handful of lettuce on each plate, then layer cucumber slices on top. Add half the bay shrimp to each salad, piling the shrimp into a small mound in the center of each salad. Sprinkle walnuts, pomegranate seeds, and persimmon wedges over the top, then drizzle dressing over.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This!