Saturday, May 21, 2011

Pancakes!

Now tell me, who doesn't love waking up to a fresh, hot stack of buttery, fluffy pancakes? I sure would. That is, if I could convince Tim to get up before me and make some. But that'll never happen. He sleeps in like 2-3 hours after me and doesn't like to cook anything except mac and cheese from a box. But I still love him.

Anyways, back to the pancakes. This recipe is the best pancake recipe I've ever made. I even think my parents (and possibly by my grandparents!) used this recipe when I was growing up. I love them plain, with a little bit of butter and syrup, but to tell you the truth, my favorite addition is huckleberries. If you have never had a huckleberry, get your butt over to either Washington or Oregon or Idaho and go hiking in late August/early September. They are everywhere and they are so delicious!

In fact, one of my many nicknames growing up was tumbleberry because I fell while picking huckleberries and went a-tumbling through the bushes till my uncle caught me. True story.

Pancakes are seriously one of the best breakfast foods, ever! So tell me, what do you like in or on your pancakes?



Good Ole Fashioned Pancakes
adapted from Better Homes and Gardens

1 c. all purpose flour*
1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 beaten egg
1 cup milk**
2 tbsp cooking oil

1. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of mixture. Set aside.
2. Combine egg, milk and oil. Add wet mixture to dry ingredients. Stir just until moistened. Batter will be lumpy.
3. Heat a nonstick griddle or skillet over medium heat. For standard size pancakes, drop 1/4 c. batter onto hot griddle. For dollar-size, drop 1 tbsp batter. Pancake will be ready to turn when bubbles form and the edges are set. Flip and let cook for 2 minutes longer. Enjoy with butter and syrup or jam.

*1/2 c. of the flour can be replaced with whole wheat flour, if desired.
**Buttermilk can be substituted for lighter, fluffier pancakes. Sour milk (1 tbsp vinegar + 1 c. milk, let sit for 5 minutes before using) can also be used.

Enjoy!






   

Sign up for our email list to get weekly recipe digests, updates on events, get a free e-cookbook and be entered for a monthly drawing for a free cookbook (Up to a value of $31.95. Limit one per person). Who wouldn't want all that?


* indicates required


















      

   

   





Basic Pancakes on Foodista

1 comment:

Share This!