Saturday, November 13, 2010

Deconstructed Fruit and Nut Parfait

When it comes to making breakfast in the morning, I definitely reach for something easy and quick to get me out the door. I mostly eat my breakfast either in my car or once I get to work. My cat hates me for that since he so badly wants my attention after patiently waiting for 8 hours.



Most days, it's toast and some tea. Not the best breakfast. Some mornings (when I get enough sleep so my brain cells actually work soon after getting up at 5 in the morning) I can actually put together a pretty healthy breakfast. One of my favorites that I got to constantly is a deconstructed fruit and nut parfait. It's super easy and I like to tell myself it's healthy. I mean it's got lots of fruit, nuts and yogurt. What's not healthy about that?

Ok, I should fess up. I add chocolate to my parfait. And honey. What can I say? I need a little sweetness in the morning. I usually pair this with tea and some toast. I just can't get rid of that darn slice of toast with apple butter on it!



The great thing about this recipe is that it's so flexible. Don't have fresh fruit? Add in dried fruit. Don't have walnuts? Add pecans or peanuts or what ever nut you have on hand. The only thing you really need is yogurt.

I love to use seasonal fruits, no matter if they are fresh or dried. My favorite seasonal combinations are below the recipe, which I hope you will find some inspiration that will make your mornings better.

Deconstructed Fruit and Nut Parfait

Serves 1

1 c. yogurt (I prefer Greek, but plain is fine)
1/4 c. walnuts
1/4 c. dried cranberries
1/4 c. fresh pomegranate seeds
1/4 c. dark chocolate chips (the best part!)
1 tbsp honey

Spoon yogurt into bowl and layer fruits, nuts and chocolate on top. Drizzle with honey. Serve with (or without) toast.

My favorite combinations:

Fall: Apples cubes, pecans and dried cranberries
Winter: Pear cubes, walnuts and raisins
Spring: Strawberry halves, pistachios and dried apricots
Summer: Peach cubes, walnuts and dried pineapple

Have fun and make up your own combinations!

Enjoy!






   

Like this recipe? Sign up for our email  list to get weekly recipe digests, updates on events, get a free e-cookbook and be entered for a monthly drawing for a free cookbook (Up to a value of $31.95. Limit one per person). Who wouldn't want all that?


* indicates required


















      

   

   



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This!