Saturday, June 29, 2013

Salmon Pasta with Kale and Fennel



When I was in college, every spring I would make a pasta dish with chicken and fennel in a creamy lemon sauce with creme fraiche and parmesan. It was my favorite pasta dish! Since I shouldn't eat it any more because of the dairy, I decided to make a similar version, but without the cream. In order to bump up the flavor factor, I added some kale (plus kale is all the rage now!), and to mix it up, I added salmon instead of chicken. 

This has become my new favorite pasta dish to make. It's so simple yet so satisfying. I will admit that I went for seconds on this one! And I didn't even miss the cream or cheese!



Salmon Pasta with Kale and Fennel

1/3 lb. salmon fillet
1 c. whole wheat penne
1 bunch kale, rinse and sliced
1 fennel bulb, sliced in half moons
1 clove garlic, minced
juice from half a lemon
Olive oil
Salt and pepper

1.      Fill a stock pot with water and bring to a boil. Cook penne according to package directions and drain.
2.      Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in sauté pan over medium heat. Salt and pepper salmon fillet. Add salmon, skin side up, and cook for 3-4 minutes, then flip over. Cook for another 3 minutes, then remove from pan and set aside.
3.      Add 1 tbsp more oil to pan, then add garlic and fennel. Turn heat down to medium low and cook until fennel becomes almost tender, about 7 minutes. Add kale and cover. Cook for another 2 minutes.
4.      Meanwhile, flake salmon. When kale is cooked, add salmon and pasta. Toss with lemon juice and a little more olive oil, then serve.
 


Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Love this, especially how you lightened it! How simple, nutritious and perfectly easy! We're going to feature this on our Facebook page and link here so people can see how you made it, and your lovely photography. If you wish, come LIKE us on Facebook for more recipes and tips on super healthy greens like kale, chard, beet, mustard, turnip, collard and other green leafies. https://www.facebook.com/Cut.n.Clean.Greens

    --Your friendly Southern California farmers at Cut 'N Clean Greens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I will definitely like your page :)

      Delete

Share This!