Monday, September 10, 2012

Cherry Basil Sauce for Ice Cream

I absolutely love this sauce! Its sweet, but tart and plain delicious! It goes well with either ham or ice cream.

Wait, what? Ham OR ice cream with this sauce? Has she gone nuts?!? Just trust me on this one. This sauce is super versatile!

I have a cookbook that I've mentioned before called Menus in Minutes. I love it for the simple fact that most of the recipes are under 30 minutes, including prep time, and all of the recipes sound delicious!

I've had my eye on this dish since I got the cookbook, and I finally got around to making it. The recipe calls for canned cherries, which I substituted for fresh, pitted cherries along with some thickened cherry juice. Cherry juice can be found in most natural foods sections. I also decided to add in some fresh chopped basil to give it another layer of flavor.



I had some leftover sauce and decided to try it on some coconut ice cream. It was just as delicious! It has become my new favorite dessert sauce (and it's really good with the ham too!)

Try this sauce tonight with some ham or make it as a dessert sauce and serve over ice cream.



Cherry Basil Sauce
adapted from Menus in Minutes

Makes about 1 c. of sauce

1/2 c. cherries, pitted
1/2 c. cherry juice
2 tbsp water with 1 tbsp cornstarch
a few basil leaves, finely chopped, reserving some for garnish

Mix together all the ingredients in a small saucepan.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 5-7 minutes, until sauce becomes syrupy.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This!