Sunday, August 12, 2012

Chili-Cumin Rubbed Steak with Balsamic Peppers, Onions and Peas

My inspiration for this meal came from one of my favorite cookbook authors, Michele Cranston. I just love her food and the simplicity of it. In her book Spicy, she has a Warm Banana Pepper Salad that looks amazing. I wanted to try it out, but alas, my store does not carry banana peppers and I didn't want to go fiddlin around with any of the other peppers because I'm not that familiar with them.

So what did I do? I grabbed some bell peppers and decided to throw in some sugar snaps and onions. The veggies turned out delicious! I never though of adding cumin and balsamic vinegar together, but they actually pair really well together. And of course, since I was putting cumin on the veggies, I just had to put some on the steak!

I served this with a red quinoa, but it would just as wonderful with some beans and rice. I think that's how I'll serve it next time!



Chili-Cumin Rubbed Steak with Balsamic Peppers, Onions and Peas
adapted from Spicy by Michele Cranston
Serves 4

2 bell peppers, seeded and quartered
1 onion, cut into quarters and layers separated
6 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp cumin
2 c. sugar snap peas
a few basil leaves, sliced

4 steaks, your favorite cut
1 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
 2 tbsp olive oil

1 c. red quinoa, cooked according to package

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Toss bell peppers and onions in 2 tbsp olive oil, lay in a single layer on a baking sheet, then roast for 20 minutes, until peppers begin to blister. Continue roasting onions, if desired.
2. Cook red quinoa according to package directions. 
3. Mix together cumin, chili powder, cayenne, salt and pepper. Combine with olive oil and rub over steaks. Grill steaks to desired doneness. Let rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.
4. Mix together 4 tbsp olive oil, vinegar and cumin. Toss with bell peppers, onion, peas and basil.


Enjoy!



Linked at Allergy Free Wednesday, Thursday Treasures and Keep it Real Thursday.


4 comments:

  1. Love the addition of qunioa for the dish! I love that stuff! :) My name is Cindy and I blog over at Vegetarianmamma.com I wanted to invite you to link up your recipe at our Gluten Free Fridays Recipe Link up party! It happens every Friday and we'd love to have you join us with some of your awesome recipes! You can find this week's link up here: http://vegetarianmamma.com/gluten-free-friday-recipe-link-up-1/
    Thanks, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy! I love quinoa too! I will definitely link up my recipes!

      Delete
  2. This looks wonderful!!! Such great flavors! Thank you so much for sharing on Thursday's Treasures Week 47! <3 and hugs! http://www.recipesformyboys.com/2012/08/thursdays-treasures-week-47.html

    ReplyDelete

Share This!