Friday, April 15, 2011

Turkey Croque Monsieur

A croque monsieur is a French grilled cheese sandwich with ham, gruyere cheese and dijon mustard. The first time I had a croque monsieur, we were having a French food party in my high school French class. Granted, it was made by 10th graders who had never really cooked before in their life, but it was still tasty.

The second time I had a croque monsieur, I was in Paris at a cafe in the Latin Quarter. I can't remember the name of the cafe for the life of me, but I do remember that it was delicious. As soon as I got back from Paris, I found a recipe that was close to the one I had in Paris. I've been making them ever since.

It has been a while since I made one, so I decided a couple nights ago that it was time to have a croque monsieur. I didn't have any ham on hand and I wanted to make it a little healthier, so I used turkey instead of ham. It was just as delicious! And I felt a little less guilty about eating it.



Turkey Croque Monsieur

Serves 2

4 slices French bread
Butter
6 slices smoked turkey breast
Gruyere cheese, sliced
Dijon mustard

1. To assemble sandwiches, spread butter on one side of each slice of bread. Put one slice butter side down on a cutting board. Layer 3 slices of turkey with cheese slices on top. Spread dijon mustard on the non-buttered side of another slice of bread. Top turkey and cheese with mustard side of the bread slice. Repeat with other 2 slices of bread, turkey, cheese and mustard.
2. Heat non-stick pan over medium heat. Cook sandwiches in pan for 3-5 minutes on each side, or until browned and cheese is melted. Serve sliced in half.

Enjoy!






   

Sign up for our email list to get weekly recipe digests, updates on events, get a free e-cookbook and be entered for a monthly drawing for a free cookbook (Up to a value of $31.95. Limit one per person). Who wouldn't want all that?


* indicates required


















      

   

   



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This!