Monday, November 17, 2014

Caribbean Spiced Pumpkin Soup

It's been a while since I've cooked and taken a picture of it, well since I finished my last book. I've been busy working on hats and jewelry for my Holiday Gift Festival, which was last weekend and went pretty well. It didn't have as big of a turnout as I was hoping, but it was my best show yet!

Starting this week, I want to cook every day since I've been eating out a lot lately, alternating with being sick and downing gallons of chicken noodle soup. It's time for me to get my cooking groove back, starting with the Caribbean spiced pumpkin soup.

I love pumpkin in fall (as does everyone else, it seems!). I prefer my pumpkin to be on the savory side, although I will never say no to pumpkin pie. This soup hits the spot with some allspice, ginger, coriander and a sprinkling of cilantro added in, along with coconut milk to make it extra creamy. Make a batch of this soup tonight to satisfy your pumpkin cravings.



Caribbean Spiced Pumpkin Soup
Serves 4

1 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
1 onion, sliced
2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
2 tsp fresh grated ginger
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp salt
1 3/4 c. vegetable stock
1 15 oz. can pumpkin 
half a 15 oz can of full fat coconut milk (about 1 c.)
chopped cilantro, for garnish

In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, garlic and cilantro. Stir to coat in oil and let cook for 5 minutes. Add vegetable stock, ginger, allspice, salt and coriander, and let simmer over medium heat, covered, for 10 minutes until carrots and onions are soft. Add in pumpkin and coconut milk. Puree using a hand blender or in a regular blender, being careful since the soup will be hot! Pour back into saucepan and bring up to barely a simmer over medium heat. Serve hot with a few leaves of cilantro sprinkled over the top. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This!