Thursday, October 30, 2014

Simple Sweet Hearty Scones

On our way to climb Mt. St. Helens, Mark and I stopped at the Cedar Creek Grist Mill in Woodland, WA. How did I find out about this marvelous place? From the Puyallup Fair!

Are you confused yet?

Well, let me explain. When I was enjoying looking at all the pretty photographs entered into their photography contest, I noticed there were several of the same exact old looking building. Well, this one:



I looked a little closer and noticed that they were all of the Cedar Creek Grist Mill. Thanks to Google, I found out it was in Washington. Hurray! I will be able to visit it some day! So I added it to my list of places I want to visit, and then forgot about it. 

Until we were driving to Cougar and I saw the sign for the Cedar Creek Grist Mill. Naturally, I yelled, turn here! And off we went. 



The mill was built in 1876, but has been restored and operated by a bunch of volunteers since the late 1980's. We got an awesome tour after walking along the creek, then we got to watch them mill some corn into coarse cornmeal. And of course, I had to bring some home! I also grabbed a bag of flour, at a $6 donation per bag. They had tons of recipes to try, too, so I had to take ALL of them. 

When I got home and recovered from the climb, I decided to make their simple sweet scones, my way of course. The only thing I changed was that I used soy milk instead of regular milk and I increased the amount of liquid to 1 c. from 2/3 c. Otherwise, they were perfect and hearty, especially since I used the flour from the mill. Served with some raspberry jam, they were the perfect late summer breakfast.



Cedar Creek Grist Mill's Simple Sweet Scones
makes 8 scones

1 1/2 c. AP flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick cold butter or vegan butter, cut into small pieces
1 c. soy milk or cow's milk

Preheat oven to 425 F. Mix together flours, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add butter and cut with a pastry blender or two knives until the butter is the size of small peas. Add milk and stir until a soft dough forms. (Use those arm muscles!) Form the dough into a ball, then pour onto a lightly floured board. Knead a few times until dough just holds together.

Shape into a ball, then pat or roll into a roughly 6" circle or square, depending on how you want the shape of your scones to be. Cut into 8 wedges and place on an ungreased baking sheet, leaving at least a quarter inch between them.

Bake for about 12 minutes or until lightly brown on top. Cool on a wire rack, then serve with butter and jam. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This!