Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Meat Sauce

Everyone has their own special spaghetti recipe, right? Some people add meat, others add veggies. It's all pretty much based on personal preference.

I remember growing up, my parents would make a big batch of spaghetti sauce and then freeze it for easy weeknight meals. I don't make spaghetti often, but I can tell you that I have a big container of frozen sauce in my freezer right now. (That reminds me, I should eat it soon!)

My version includes lots of veggies and ground beef with a slightly sweet sauce. It's perfect for any night of the week!

What's in your spaghetti recipe?




Rachel's Spaghetti
Serves lots!

1 lb. lean ground beef
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bell pepper, diced
1 tbsp olive oil
1-28 oz can fired roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
2 tbsp tomato paste
a few large shakes of Italian spice mix
salt and pepper
whole wheat spaghetti, cooked

1. Heat large stock pot over medium-high heat. Cook beef until there is no more pink left. Remove from pan. Add olive oil, then when hot, add onion, garlic and peppers. Saute until onion begins to turn translucent, but not brown. 
2. Return beef to pan, along with tomatoes, paste, Italian spice mix, salt and pepper. Add enough water to almost cover everything. Bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove lid and simmer for another 15 minutes.
3. Serve over whole wheat spaghetti noodles, with lots of Parmesan curls!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This!