Friday, December 9, 2011

Chocolate Rum Balls!

Growing up, I remember always baking a ton of Christmas cookies with my mom and my grandma (Babi, which is short for babička, which means grandma in Czech). We would get together for weekends on end, making batch after batch of cookies. There are so many pictures of me putting sprinkles on the cookies, or cutting shapes out of the dough. 


But ever since my grandma moved out of her house after my grandpa passed, we haven't made any Czech cookies. A few years passed until last year, when me and my mom decided to try making them from recipes we found online. We had lost all of my grandma's recipes in the move (or so we thought. Turns out they were tucked safely way in, well, a safe), so we fiddled around and found some great recipes, and some not so great recipes. 


This year, after we found my grandma's recipes, we decided to try them out. Only problem was that most of the recipes were incomplete or the steps were out of order. My mom had tried to write them down in English what my grandma did exactly for each recipe, but unfortunately in the hustle and bustle of things, details were left out. We tried to fill them in and improvise as best as we could, and some turned out well.


The chocolate rum balls were just as I remember. Sweet, chocolatey, with a hazelnut in the middle. They were my favorite cookie, so when I pulled them out after letting them sit for a week, they brought back so many good memories of Christmas past. And now I would like to share them with you.



Chocolate Rum Balls (Bombicky, literally "bombs")



2 egg whites
1 tsp lemon and vanilla extract
2 1/4 c. powdered sugar
4 tbsp Nestlé’s quik chocolate
1 tsp rum
2 c. walnuts, ground
1 ½ c. powdered sugar
Hazelnuts, whole

1. Mix together egg whites, sugar, walnuts, extracts, chocolate and rum.
2. Take a tsp of batter and place hazelnut in center. Roll in sugar, then place in a paper liner. Let sit for few days in a cool room in a tin.

Enjoy!






   

Sign up for our email list to get weekly recipe digests, updates on events, get a free e-cookbook and be entered for a monthly drawing for a free cookbook (Up to a value of $31.95. Limit one per person). Who wouldn't want all that?


* indicates required

















      

   

   




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This!