Thursday, January 26, 2012

Snowshoeing at Mt. Rainier

A few weekends ago I went snowshoeing with my meetup group up at Mt. Rainier. My co-worker Mark offered to take me and a few gals up and show us the ropes. I took him up on his offer and we had a blast!

We drove up to Ashford and stopped at Whittaker's to pick up snowshoes, then quickly headed up to the park.  When we got to Longmire, there was no snow on the ground, so our hopes for good snow where not too high. We headed up to Paradise where there was a ton of snow and it was coming down like crazy! We got suited up and headed out on the trail towards Narada Falls.


You can't tell in the pictures, but it was windy! There were gusts so strong I felt I was going to get blown over! But it was still a lot of fun.


We got close to Narada Falls, but decided to turn back because the weather was quickly turning south. We hurried back to the cars, which were frozen solid. We quickly scrambled in the cars and attempted to get them defrosted and then hurried down the hill to get out of the insane weather. The snow was coming down faster than we could scoop it off the car and the windshield wipers kept freezing.


But we made it down to Longmire, where we found a ton of snow had fallen in about 4 hours. Literally, that much snow had fallen in 4 hours! Can you believe it?!


 
Mark and I brought some apple cider mix for the gals, and we toured the gift shop where I bought a beautfiul vase I had seen the last time I was up there and had regretted not buying.

We headed back down to Ashford to return the snowshoes, then promptly headed back to Puyallup, where it was snowing as well! There was a guy attempting donuts in the parking lot and a ton of people having problems getting through the snow, but it was still awesome!

Mark, thank you so much for taking us gals up snowshoeing! I cannot wait to go again!

Rachel

1 comment:

  1. This looks like a lot of fun! We have yet to really experience winter here in Iowa this year which is unusual for us...usually we have some major snow storms but this year only a few inches...I kind of miss it! I enjoy the change of seasons!

    ReplyDelete

Share This!