Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Schinkenfleckerl (aka Ham and Noodle Casserole)

Can you say schinkenfleckerl ten times fast? I can't, but I definitely could go for seconds on this dish. My mom used to make a simpler variation of it when I was growing up, and I finally found the recipe for it so I could recreate on of my favorite dishes. This version is definitely hearty. It's full of eggy-creamy-hamy-noodley goodness that is perfect for dinner after hitting the ski slopes.



Schinkenfleckerl (aka Ham and Noodle Casserole)
Serves 4

1/2 bag broad egg noodles
4 thick slices of ham, cut into 1/2" cubes
1 egg, seperated
1/2 container creme fraiche
2.5 oz smoked cheddar, grated
2.5 oz parmesan, grated


1. Cook noodles as directed on package. Drain and set aside. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Whisk together egg yolk and creme fraiche. Beat egg whites until soft peak stage (where if you lift the beater out of the bowl, peaks form, but the tips fall over on itself). Fold egg whites into creme fraiche mixture, then fold in cheese, ham and noodles. Pour into a buttered baking dish.
3. Bake for 20-30 until cheese sauce is bubbly and noodles are slightly browned on edges.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This!